Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh Captian my Captian



So I was thinking about dead poets this morning.


It started when I did a quick stop at the dollar store to pick up Sunday's paper and the wonderful coupon booklet found therein.


On my way in I saw a dead crow which caused me to shriek like a 5 year old and trip over the sidewalk. (That was my immediate subconscience reaction.)


My immediate CONSCIENCE reaction was to think about Edgar Allen Poe and "The Raven"


The only thing I remember from that poem that I studied in 8th grade is the last line "quote the Raven evermore"



I have no clue what it means, but that doesn't stop me from being impressed with myself and the fact that I remember anything from 8th grade.


So then I tried to remember any other poems I studied as a kid, and this fella came to mind.



When I was in 10th grade I memorized his 18th sonnet. I still have it memorized.





Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate...





I'll spare you the details - but if you've ever got a need for poetry to woo that special someone, give me a call and I can spout this one off.




As I paid for my paper and walked out I once again contemplated the ability the mind has for remembering bits of useless information for years at a time.





And saw the dead crow again which I had conveniently forgotten about and thought to myself,






"Quote the raven evermore"



3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I memorized "Baby Got Back." That is all.

Barbaloot said...

Whenever I think of that Raven poem it reminds me of the Simpson's episode they do on that. Bart is the Raven.

Eliza said...

The mind is a beautiful thing.