Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Moral Dilema

Am I a worse person for

A.) not giving any money to the person who approached my car begging outside my supermarket

or for

B.) pretending to be deaf when the person talked to me. Not just pretending to be deaf as in ignoring the person, but actually pretending to be deaf. 3 semesters of sign lanugage at BYU comes in handy occasionally.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Haha! Wow. This is a tough one. I'm just going to go with all of the above.

Barbaloot said...

Well...it could've been worse. In an attempt to get away you may have run over said beggar.

Eliza said...

Did you sign to the person, GET A JOB? I hate the people that approach you, so creepy!

rychelle said...

maybe it's c: the fact that i laughed at and admired your tactics.

Anonymous said...

Does that mean I'm a bad person for pretending to be deaf in Cancun when we were trying to barter for a better price?

tiffany said...

nothing wrong with that i dont give money either or eye contact i dont feel all that bad who really knows if they really need the money or not oh im a really bad person for thinking that arent i?

Amy said...

I agree with Eliza and the "Get a job sign"... The last person that did this to Todd and I, I rolled down the window and suggested if he quit smoking he might have money for food. He's probably going to shoot me next time we drive by. But the guy always has a cigarette lit. That's probably enough money to eat.

Something Marvellous said...

LOL! Pretending to be deaf???!!! I haven't done that before. I don't like giving money to panhandlers - especially since I spend a lot of time volunteering AND donate money for food banks and shelters. They should really use those resources instead because it has more structure. It will teach them to "fish" instead of just giving them a fish to eat for one meal.
So I guess if you feel bad - just put a little more $ in your humanitarian fund. You'll know your $ is going somewhere where it will be used for good instead of who knows what.

Quists said...

Oh my goodness Sara! Only you!!!! :) Thanks for the laugh... I needed one today... now I can go to bed. By the way, the word verification is descank... as in de-scank? What?!!?!