Monday, March 9, 2009

Confessions of a Dye-aholic

I would really like to get off my dependence on the glorious thing known as hair dying.

It's like a drug. Once you start, you can't stop. You must have more. As soon as the effects start to wear off grow out you have to go back, cover it up, make the world beautiful once again.



I've been trying to wean myself off this addiction for months now, and I'm ready to cave.


I told myself that I needed to let my hair grow out, I needed to go natural, I needed to stop spending enormous amounts of money on my addiction.


Now I look like this. (Literally, I look like this now. I just took this picture. Like my shirt?)

.

I've got about 4 inches of root showing. TACKY!!!!


I'd really like to not continue dying, but how do I hide this?


If you say I should chop my hair to a 4 inch length, I might start crying.


I had that haircut already in the 6th grade and the kids called my Ronald McDonald. I cried.


Well, not all the kids, but evil Rochelle did. At least my hair isn't as mousy as hers so ha!


How do you fix this?


I've thought about getting bangs to mask it.



Or maybe a beehive since those are back in style.



I found a wig that matches my natural hairstyle pretty well...


But I've heard those can get pretty itchy. So maybe a weave would look a little more natural.




Why can't I just go back to looking like this?

I had this picture of myself taken after the last time I dyed.
Is that too much to ask?

7 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm with you on going au natural to save some bucks. Can you wear a hat to work?

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, I think you should probably dye it as close to your natural color as possible, and then when it grows out, you can't tell.

TMink said...

I'm obsessed too - my solution - found a JUUT (Aveda) Training Salon so now it costs $30 vs $60 for only all over color. Look for something like that - at least you don't have grey hairs popping out in every direction with dark brown hair : )

I'm not giving up the addiction yet...Or like Kristina P posted go for a more neutral brown - would blend better with the roots to grow out...

Barbaloot said...

All I have to say is if you can just stay strong it's TOTALLY worth it!

I myself once suffered from addiction, but have been free for over 6 years now. It's totally worth it.

rychelle said...

i honestly thought you were a natural red-head.

i vote for the bangs. those are AWESOME.

i appreciate the blog title.

can't you get some dye at cvs for FREE?!?

yeah, i agree with kristina. die your hair back to your natural color.

ok, i'll go away now.

Amy said...

I go all natural every winter. But I'm a highlight-aholic, not dye-aholic, so I think it's easier. It is hard waiting for spring, but always worth it when you get that fabulous highlight job.

I vote low lights in your natural color. With your hair being curly, it's not like you have a straight line of color change.

And bangs on you...um...I think they would look like cute little piggy tails all curled up on your forehead...but probably not a good look. You'd be constantly trying to keep them smooth

nevadanista said...

hahaha! I totally wait about six months, or even more, sometimes to do my hair :) I hate picking up the phone to make appointments for some reason. If you're tall enough, people can't see your roots as well - unless you're sitting down of course.