Monday, January 12, 2009

Zzzzzzz, Brrrrrrr, Zzzzzzz


I absolutely have to sleep with a fan on. It doesn't matter if it's summer or winter, I must have it on. Maybe it's the white noise, maybe it's having air circulating... I'm not sure, but I have to have the fan going even if it's on low.
My honey doesn't always understand this. He seems to think that if you're hot, you just don't sleep under the covers and if you're cold - you turn off the fan.
(Oh, the many things I have yet to teach him!)
When he installed the ceiling fan, he put the remote right by my side of the bed so that I would have complete control of the fan. What a dream! It's worked beautifully!
Except last night I got cold. Sometime in the middle of the night I woke up enough to realize that the comforter had made it's way to the floor and I only had a thin sheet protecting me from the fan blowing a few feet above my head. Despite the fact that the remote controlling the fan was but an arm's length from me I tried to wake up my honey.
"I'm cold"
His answer to this was to put his arm and leg around me and breathe in my ear. Ooooo, the leg thing was so not a good idea since my bladder was just full enough to really make it uncomfortable - but not full enough to actually get up and go to the bathroom.
So I pushed him off and told him I needed the comforter from the floor. (The one that I most likely kicked off the bed since I move around in my sleep more than him.)
(Snoring)
"Honey"
(No response)
"Can you get the blanket?"
(Nada)
"Honey?"
(Snoring)
So I poked him.
And by poked, I mean I shoved him really hard.
What else can a girl do?
That got his attention as he sat up in one of those frightened, what-the-heck-just-happened moments.
"What's wrong!?"
"I'm cold, can you get the blanket from the floor?"
"Why don't you turn off the fan?"
"Cuz, I just need the blanket. Please honey?"
I did the whiny voice for that "Please honey". I find it way more effective.
And it worked like a charm since he got up to get the blanket.
Ahhhh, sleep glorious sleep.

11 comments:

Amy said...

ah, adorable newlyweds. Give him a few years, his response will be "You woke me up for that? Get it yourself".

I hate fans. Maybe it's my wispy hair, but I always feel like hair is tickling my face when there's a fan blowing on me.

Barbaloot said...

I can't stand to sleep with a fan on! I had to for a few months in AZ cuz it was unbearably hot and my roommate had this thing where she didn't like to turn the AC on. Torture. I need my silence.

Kristina P. said...

I am always cold and Adam is always hot. However, even in winter, under my big, nice duvet, I need to have a fan on low at least. Or else it just gets way too hot.

Kendra said...

I am a BIG fan of sleeping with a fan on. It is an ADDICTION. Jeremy, however, also does not understand this need in the middle of the winter. SO - we have a small fan on the floor - on MY side of the bed that is aimed at just the right angle so that I can feel the air moving and hear the comforting rurring of the blades - as I snuggle deep underneath my comforter. Mmmmmm... so cozy.

Eliza said...

Next time you can call for your Mommy (because she was just down the hall)!

Angela said...

i am always cold but i like the ac really cold in the summer so i can hide under the blanket.

Blogging and Bliss said...

New stalker here! Wow way funny post. Makes you laugh. I need to do more of that Honey do! I love to have the fan on as well and cannot live without one. Makes staying in a hotel pure H----!

nevadanista said...

Oh, I"m feelin' ya! We have the ceiling fan going 365 nights of the year!!! Can't live without it. But it does get cold during the winter. I go to bed with socks on sometimes, and them kick them off when my feet warm up. I love for the room to be cold, but to be warm under the comforter, so basically only my face can be exposed. I've chronicled many of my sleep issues on my blog as well. I haven't mentioned our noise maker yet though. Yeah, if the fan thing doesn't work out for you, get a white noise maker :)

Barrie said...

My dh likes the fan on. It's taken me years to get used to it. Come to think of it, I'm not used to it...

Alecia said...

I have to have a fan on too! For the white noise and circulating the air. Lucky you having a remote for your fan!

Oh, and I'm Alecia...first time commenter and frequent lurker.

Habs said...

Further testimony of why we are friends. I HAVE to sleep with a fan for the white noise.

I have two house requirements for when I marry and settle down.
1) A porch
2) Fans in the bedroom.