Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm on the bandwagon now.

I went to this preparedness thing with my sisters this past Saturday where they taught us how to cook with wheat and how to prepare a will/living trust or something like that.


That part was actually a snooze fest, but I did get a little tingling in my belly when coupon lady stood up and told us all how she clips coupons and saves millions in her grocery bill every year.
GET OUT! I can save money and bring world peace at the same time.

I did some research on Money Saving Mom and A Full Cup and yesterday I was ready to try it out.

I was so excited at the idea of saving so much money that I didn't even get annoyed at the grungy lady who made me wait for her while she illegally jaywalked in front of my car. (I usually drive at jaywalkers full speed honking my horn) I did judge her slightly because of her way baggy pants hanging half-way down her derriere, but I judged her with a smile on my face. Nothing could kill my mood.

I started with Target since they had Kashi cereal bars on sale for $2.75 and I had a $2 off coupon. They also had a coupon for yogurt that I wanted to try out.

I actually purchased my items, took them out to the car and went back in and checked out again with a different cashier.

Here's the evidence.

Summary - Target

Money spent: $5.82
Money saved: $9.08

Then I went to CVS. I'd heard about the steals to be had a CVS, but I've been a little intimidated before so I've never attempted it. Let me just say that CVS is not for the casual coupon user. You must go hard, or go home. It takes strategic planning, time, scanning the ads numerous times, and a trusty calculator.

Nevertheless, I walked away with this.


And, after some brilliant coupon usage, combined with the store's extra bucks and some killer deals here's what it cost me.
Summary - CVS
Money spent: $7.38
Money Saved: $60.42

Seriously, this store is practically giving this stuff away. Who says the economy is in a recession?
I'm ready for my Nobel Prize in saving money now.

8 comments:

April said...

I LOVE BARGAIN SHOPPING!! Yay!

Habs said...

WHAT? This is amazing. I was thinking about you this morning....how's your food storage?

Eliza said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed. I had coupon lady come to my house and set me up with a plan for CVS and then I still chickened out! Way to go!!

Barbaloot said...

Nice work! I'm fake inspired...but I still don't wanna clip coupons.

Practice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barrie said...

THAT is incredible. I was at CVS yesterday, but I didn't buy a single thing. Or save a single cent! I want to hear more about all this saving. p.s. Have I mentioned how much I love your header?

Amy said...

yeah, but did ya need the Dry Noses stuff? Lauren is a super coupon clipper, but fell off the deep end a long time ago and buys whatever is on sale. She now has a "storage area".

Coleman Express said...

Hey Sara,

That is cool...now you need to help me.