Friday, January 23, 2009

Living a cursed life.

When I was living in Spain, I had the fortunate experience of getting my palm read by a gypsy while walking down the street.

(The first of 3 gypsies who have read my palm on 3 different continents - what can I say? My palms attract gypsies wherever I go)

She lured me in with the scent of some mystic herb (probably cilantro, I love that stuff) and told me it was free.

That's right GRATIS, I didn't have to pay anything for my little sprig of herb. Complements of herself and her heart of gold. No strings attached, absolutely no catch.

I never pass up anything free. Especially not cilantro, the price on that stuff is ridiculous.


As I reached my greedy hand up to accept this marvelous gift from a stranger, her reaction was faster than a rattlesnake biting it's prey. She grabbed my wrist with lightning speed and, before I could blink, began to read my palm.

Now, getting your palm read can be a somewhat stressful situation. What if she says I'll never get married? What if I don't have much time left to live? What if I'm going to have a great sickness? What if I'm going to spontaneously lose all my hair? The possibilities of what she could tell me are endless. In addition to that, you're trying to remember every word she's saying so that you can find out if she is indeed knowledgeable of the uncertain future events that will come to pass.

She asked my name and where I was from and then told me that I would soon be traveling. (Duh, I just told her I was from the US)

She told me that I would marry a tall Latin. I of course was very excited by that idea since I had a ginormous crush on my Spanish Literature Teacher, even though he smoked. (I didn't judge him, just loved him)

I got really excited inside...

she must really know something!

I starting planning my wedding (he would've stopped smoking by then) and I had to remind myself to pay attention, I was missing my future.

She told me I would live a long healthy life.

She said that I would have children.

She said that I was adventurous.

She told me that I had a lot of love to give.



Then she held out her hand and told me to pay her.

Huh? I don't remember talking about a price. I thought the fortune came with the free cilantro. Kind of a package deal thing.
Like buy one get one free, only without the buying.

So I told her no.

Pay me Sara
Chills ran down my spine (How does she know my name? Oh yeah, first question she asked)

If looks could kill...

NO

You must pay me your fortune.

But I didn't ask you to give me my fortune.

PAY ME YOUR FORTUNE OR MAY YOUR HEAD GET CUT OFF!

Yikes!
I did what anyone would do who was just cursed with decapitation.

I ran away without another word.

Now, years later, I find her fortune is true.
I have traveled
I am adventurous
I'm not sure I have a lot of love, but if she says so...
I did marry a Latin - however, the 28 pairs of flats I own would stand as evidence that he is not tall. Only 1 inch taller than me in fact (He claims 1 1/2 inches, but it's probably his hair)

What about the curse? Will that also come true? Will I someday suffer from a cut off head? There goes the long life she promised me.

I find myself in fear of low doorways, sharp blades, the word guillotine, and snakes (not sure it that's relevent, but I hate them anyway).

Is my fear unreasonable?

PS. Check out April Showers for some free giveaways. Remember how I love free stuff? She's not giving away cilantro, but it's almost as good!

6 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I'm jealous---and scared for you. I fake wanna get my palm read. But like you said, what if I don't like it?
Good luck with avoiding sharp objects.

Kristina P. said...

That sort of scared me. Oh, and I hate cilantro.

April said...

Ha ha! That's really funny! And really random too...

My husband and I also hate cilantro with a fiery passion. YUCK!

Barrie said...

I love cilantro! And I love this post! I had a really scary psychic reading last year, though. So, I know where you're coming from.

I am LoW said...

Cilantro!! Be still my heart!!

I am scared of hearing my fortune though. ha!

My Diary said...

I am not a believer probably because I am really good at palm reading, and dream interpretation, and can pretend really well to be psychic. If I can do it and trick people, then there is no way it is real. Unless I am unaware of my gift of the supernatural. Which could be possible.