Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The honeymoon's over folks!


I made a subtle - but very significant change to my blogger profile. I feel like this change is going to allow myself to better identify with members of the blogging community and give me the true identity by which you should all know me.

It's a very small change, in fact, I bet none of you noticed.
You probably just glanced at it and are thinking to yourself, I don't see any changes.

Allow me to enlighten you.

It used to say, "I'm recently married and enjoy watching movies, eating chocolate, and back rubs."

It now says "I'm happily married and enjoy watching movies, eating chocolate, and back rubs."

Did you catch that?

My one year anniversary is coming up next month and I feel confident in my decision to no longer classify myself as a "newly-wed".

This is how I know I'm a grown-up adult no longer in the honeymoon stage of the marriage.

1. I have absolutely no problem forcefully pushing lightly tapping my husband away from me if he even thinks about touching me while I sleep. Yes, we're close enough now that I can actually read his thoughts while he sleeps.

2. I've stopped looking at bridal magazines in line at the grocery store. Maybe next year I'll cancel my subscription. Baby steps.

3. I've (almost) stopped comparing my ring to every married or engaged person I see.

4. He's been trained to always carry cash with him because he knows if he uses his card I'll see it and he'll have to come up with a good excuse as to why he spent $10 on fast food when we have a stocked kitchen at home. (That's never actually happened, just one of those hypothetical situations of course)

5. I've stopped giving him hints when I would like something and I just flat out tell him to get it. This has become a huge time saver!

6. I can use "my husband" in a sentence without feeling weird.

7. I look matronly at brides I see on Saturdays at the temple and think back longingly to my own wedding day oh so many months ago. I also feel comfortable offering advice to these young girls. ("You're going to want some comfortable shoes for the reception" that's just one of many expertly words of wisdom I feel confident sharing)
8. I bought my honey a back scratcher so he could do it himself. That's kind of self explanatory. Me scratching his back got old fast.
9. I've stopped putting away his clothes and make him do that step. At first he was hesitant, but with the threat that I would never again fold anything he owns, he quickly wised up.
10. I sign my married name now without having to think about it or check to make sure I spelled it right.
You see? I'm an expert at this wife business.
I'm moving on from being recently married to happily married. Psha! Easy as pie!

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea you had only been married a year! Congrats!

We just had our 5th anniversary, and I still love being married.

rychelle said...

where was this bridal magazine supscription last saturday?!?
i love looking at those mags.

Eliza said...

I'm glad to know that you are training him well. #9 is a perfect example of good training. It is also good to do to your kids (when you have some). I love #8, I think I might steal that one.

Barbaloot said...

I'm glad you're happily married and not just plain married:)

tiffany said...

happy almost one year anniversery my birthday is next month i wish it were my wedding also and i love the picture on this post very pretty

Tiffany said...

I think you've learned enough for ten years of marriage. Slow down-- you're making me look like a newlywed and I'm going to have to come for you for marital advice now.

Eliza said...

I actually have noticed the "before" profile lately and was wondering what you were going to do once your anniversary came along. I'm glad you're on top of things and got updated a whole month early!

Sheree Flick Photography said...

That was a year ago? GEESH! Have fun celebrating! ;)

Barrie said...

And it sounds as though it's been a great year!! Congrats!

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary (a little early)!

Poor Mr. Sara Barrios, I'm not sure he knew what he was getting into....lol

I'm so glad to see you both happy. Marriage is not as complicated as everyone tries to make it. As long as that person is your best friend, the rest falls in place.

Here's to many more happy years for you two!

Blogging and Bliss said...

Wow you make me look like a novice and I am going on 11 YEARS next month. Yeah it is true never do anything that you don't want to do for the rest of your marriage... Man I wish I had done Number 5 years ago... and don't even get me started with number 9. You are so far ahead of me it makes me sad~ Love stalking you.

nevadanista said...

You're so inspiring! I'm going to try #5 and see if it actually works :)

Congratulations