Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I like to think I'm a stylista - I have a magic mirror that tells me it's true!

It's not uncommon here in Vegas to see some tourist, at least I assume they are a tourist, dressed up to the nines and I mean to the nines (and I don't even know what that means). It's usually a very pretty lady or maybe perhaps even a slightly less aesthetically pleasing lady who has over compensated by carrying a really expensive handbag/really good fake handbag and maybe some fur, fake of course since you would hate to have your look ruined by some animal-loving-flour-throwing-PETA activists.
Where was I?
Oh yeah, so picture a really dressed up lady. We're talking little black dress, 10 inch heels, Elizabeth Taylor's jewelery collection, professional hair and make-up, the works. Do you have her in your head? My mental image looks something like Angelina Jolie meets Audrey Hepburn (she has a killer long neck). So you have this way hot lady and then you have her date/lover/friend/boyfriend/husband. She is obviously the arm candy in the relationship because the male companion is wearing (never fail) a plaid shirt, or if she's lucky, a polo, some wrangler jeans or... dare I say...(gasp)...jean shorts! Perhaps some scruffy shoes and unkempt hair underneath a baseball cap advertising his favorite brand of beer.
What a classy couple.
I took the following picture when my honey took me to the movies last week. I wanted to show the wonderful view we had since we were the only ones in the theater. I had intended to blog about that.
Instead, as I look at this picture I'm reminded of those lovely "tourist" couples that I often see on the strip (and make fun of in my mind). I didn't have time to change after work so I went in what I had been wearing all day. Unfortunately I also didn't have time to dress my honey who finds it appropriate to wear grey socks with black tennis shoes (sorry Jen - avert your eyes). The worst part is, I didn't even realized how we looked until I looked at this picture a week later.
What has happened to me?
Is it karma for all those times I mocked the tourists?
Is it because we're lazy?
Is it because we're married and just don't care?
Have I been wrong all these years and those tourists really do have fashion sense?

5 comments:

Amy said...

I actually prefer the gray socks to white ones, that would have been worse! Alber is so darn adorable, nobody noticed I'm sure.

Habs said...

You are not like those tourist couples. First, you don't have fur or a really expensive looking purse. Second, Alber combs his hair and I don't think I've ever seen him in jeans. He usually wears khakis.

The picture makes your feet look really small.

Eliza said...

I like that by comparing yourself to the tourist that has Audrey Hepburn looks that you now look like Audrey. She's gorgeous and so are you!

Totally agree with the beautiful woman geeky man looks. Isn't it funny how often that happens?

Sheree Flick Photography said...

Seriously, you look like you have Geisha feet! You're a Hottie!

Jen said...

As long as he isn't wearing gray dress socks with those tennies then I'm ok.