Monday, February 16, 2009

I LOVE my calling! (That was sarcastic)

I've always been a fan of the big V-Day. Just another excuse for me to binge on extreme amounts of chocolate. What's not to love?

This year, I spent more time making it special for the Young Women who's minds I try to control, and my honey got a little less of my time. He wasn't totally forgotten. I gave him a movie. It was either that, or socks. Gosh how did the guy get so lucky?

For the Young Women I went all out. I prepared 4 different Valentine's crafts and got everything set up on 4 different tables in the gym ahead of time. I even stayed up until midnight the night before making these babies.



Martha Stewart's Ice Cream Sandwich cookies with strawberry ice cream. I bet you wish I had been your Young Women's President!

The girls (all 6 that actually showed up when I had prepared for 15) had a blast putting together all the LOVE-ly crafts (get it?) and the Young Men got so mad a me for not letting them play basketball in the gym, they all went outside and vandalized the church building.

Nice huh? Yep, these are our future missionaries. Just makes me all tingly inside.

In other Young Women news. I've had to re-do the big theme that hangs in our room since our old one was way ghetto they added the value "Virtue".

Here's the lovely wall hanging I inherited when I became president.

You can't actually tell, but there are some areas where they obviously messed up the stencil and used white out to cover it up. WHITE OUT on a cream colored canvas. Real classy.

This is our new one.



I had someone hand embroider the middle section and then each girl was given a square to decorate.

They all pretty much just put their names. You simply can't stop narcissism from happening.

In summary, I'm proud of these three things I did this Valentines "season". (All the other holidays get a season...)


1. I made the best cookies ever and only got slightly upset with my husband when he ate one making it an odd number of cookies and thus, one less ice cream sandwich.


2. I ticked off the young men so much I drove them to damage church property.

3. I replaced the hideous theme wall hanging with something slightly less hideous, but equally as tacky.

I'm ready to be released now please.

10 comments:

Eliza said...

If you are going to be released, then I say go out BIG and vandilizm and tacky art will pretty much do it. Congrats! I hope that the Bishop has a replacement ready, you deserve it.

Habs said...

I hate it when hard work is done in vain. Keep your chin up though. Most of the lives we touch we never know about. Love you!

Kristina P. said...

Yes, it's completely your fault the YM vandalized the gym. :P

Barbaloot said...

Those sandwiches look very good! And I'm sorry that's your calling. Really, I am. I can imagine it's pretty un-fun at times.

Wendy Christensen said...

Funny ... I do hope the powers that be release you from the madness!!

Something Marvellous said...

Vandalism?! Are you kidding me? The Bishop should make them clean it up. grrr.
Well, at least for the 6 girls that did show up, they knew how much you love them and how much effort you put into it. Remember, the Lord did say how great his joy would be if you would bring but just one soul unto him. If you can touch just one of those YW's life, that is pretty huge.
On a similar note to your story - Last year, I had some of my own girls ditch YW Class and go write on the bathroom walls in the church!
I came home crying that day after making them apologize to everyone and cleaning it up. I hope they get called to be YW president one day. Is that mean?

Stephanie said...

what was the vandilism exactly? Oh and if thats all you can think to do to get replaced, Then I don't think that will actually do it... I think as activities chair I did alot worst... can't think of it now but I know i did Maybe

Coleman Express said...

Those cookies look great. You are becoming a really good baker/cook. That is crazy about the YM. We do have such fine young future missionaries, I would agree!

rychelle said...

those cookies look devine!

what ward are you in?

Quists said...

Talk about going all out! Way to be! Doesn't it make you appreciate a LITTLE more all the things that all our old YW leaders did for us growing up? I was SUCH a snot... I won't ever be able to make it up to them. Oh well. I haven't ever been in YW or even in Primary or anything "real" yet. I just always get the "blessed opportunity" to be a pianist in the primary or the organist for a ward. Yep, I guess when you're "lucky to have that talent" you apparently aren't good for anything else. HA HA! Okay, I LOVED the narcissm comment. I can't spell it... narcisism... dang it. I should have looked at your blog again. By the way, every time I watch the biggest loser, I remember your post about it. HA HA!