Thursday, September 25, 2008

America's next Top Psycho?

When I was younger I went through several different phases of trying to change my myself. In 8th grade I wanted to change my handwriting and I began writing in all caps, but I had to stop because my English teacher didn't like it. Then for a while when I was in 11th grade I started writing my 'A's different (like how they show up when typing, but people don't actually write that way). Anyway, I was thinking about those various "me" make-overs that I've done in the past and I've decided that I need another one. This time, I must make a change to my face. Not like plastic surgery or anything - although my nose would be the first to go. No I mean the actual way I look to people: my expression - it's got to go. There have been several instances that have lead up to this conclusion and I'll let the rest of you decide the best way to go about making this change.

Exhibit A. I went into a gas station for my receipt because I bought a car wash and the dumb receipt printer wasn't working at the pump. I told the clerk I needed a receipt and he looks at me and says, "You look like you're having a bad day." Actually no, I wasn't. Do I really look that bad? It was a perfectly normal day. I just needed my receipt. What do you say to that. So I lied, "Yeah, I'm just a little tired." Now give me my receipt stranger and stop talking to me.

Exhibit B. I went to a different gas station, I know what you're thinking "Pay at the pump already Sara!", I do, but I just really needed some diet coke. So I went inside and my efforts were wasted anyway because they only had Pepsi. Ugh, as if! But I found some Gatorade to bring to my honey while he was working. I walk up to the counter and the lady looks at me and says, "Are you OK?" Yeah, actually I am, thanks for checking. I found myself once again stumbling to find an appropriate lie. Seriously, what does my face look like? "Uh, yeah, my dog just died so I'm a little sad" Give me my receipt stranger.

Exhibit C. I walked into the president of the company's office to drop off some papers and he looks at me and says "Are you OK? You're all white, you look like you've seen a ghost." Lies weren't coming fast enough so I just replied, "Yea, I'm good. I'll keep my eye out for any ghosts though". Come on people, do I look that bad?

I got back to my office and took out my camera. I wanted to see what THEY were seeing so I didn't smile and did my best everyday, relaxed expression.
Here she is:





No! Seriously, that can't be my everyday normal face. I look like my dog really did just die. So I tried again.


Are you kidding me. This is what I look like? So what if I smiled all the time?


Yeah, right! Like I'm going to be sitting at my desk, going through reports like this. How about a half smile?


Ok, that one doesn't work, it looks like I've swallowed my upper lip. Try again.


That's better. If you count looking like a stoned alcoholic good. Are eyes supposed to look that droopy? So why not try "Smiling with my eyes" Like my good friend Tyra always says.


YIKES! try again.


Yowza! I'm either plotting revenge against some unsuspecting innocent person or I've just swallowed a chicken whole and it's trying to get back out through my eye sockets. This modeling stuff really is hard, I have a whole new respect for all those size -2 high fashion drug addicts, oops I mean models.



What am I supposed to do? I've only got so much to work with here. Any suggestions on how to keep myself looking like the crypt keeper?



PS. I just realized as I was looking at those pictures that I completely forgot to put on make-up today. I wasn't in a rush, I'm not making a statement, just flat out forgot. Maybe that's why I look like I've seen a ghost.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow mija. I really couldn't stop laughing at this one. Not because you look bad-you know you always look hot- just because I've gone through the same thing. "Are you okay???!!!?" "What happened to your face?!?!" Anyway, my best advice is to wink at everyone or make kissy faces. If they look suspicious, just act like there's something in your eye or teeth. Love ya!

Eliza said...

SOOOOOO FUUUUUNNNNYYYYY!

I like your face. It looks a lot like Audrey's! And she's dang cute, so there is nothing wrong with you.

Nicnel said...

As I was reading this post, I kind of broke out into that half-contained embarrassed at-work laughter. The kind where you can't help laughing out loud, but you try to hold it in, so it kind of comes out in a rush...you know the kind I mean. Thanks for adding some humor into my day.

Now I'm all concerned about my expression. Maybe I'll try smiling with my eyes...

Amy said...

ha ha ha!

I have a couple comments:

1. Diet Coke is sold in bottles at gas stations too- quit being a fountain soda snob!

2. Your hair has gotten dark! That + no makeup + dark shirt = pale. Sorry...

3. Cute Vest!

4. Get back to work!

Coleman Express said...

Hey Sara,
I think that Audrey looks like you too. Both cuties!!!

I like you blog. See it is people like you who put up something new like everyday and write a novel each time that make me look like a slacker...thanks!!

I love you Sara.

Sheree Flick Photography said...

You are too cute Sara! I LOVE YOUR FACE!!! I remember the story you told me a while back when you stared in the mirror trying to work on all your funny faces! I've tried this technique often, but they are never as good as yours!

So funny..... I really can't stop laughing to myself! :0

Jason Miller said...

so funny!

Habs said...

This was brilliant. I am SOOOOOOO glad you had a camera handy to capture the moment! I am still laughing. Ha Ha.

Quists said...

Oh Sara, dear, dear Sara. You just made my night! Oh, I was laughing and laughing at this one. I just couldn't stop! Thank you for your post. You are hysterical and I appreciate your humor. I had a similar experience, but I really WASN'T okay. I had just found out my mom's brain tumor was back, I had a new baby that was reverting back to getting up every 2-3 hours in the night (ie: no sleep), and well, you get the idea. I walked into a store and politely asked the guy at Office Depot, "May you please tell me where the 3 ring binders are?" This guy (who ended up being the manager) says, "Whoa! Did you get into a fight with your boyfriend or something? Jeesh!" I was mad... "Umnnnn, no you moron. I'm MARRIED. I have a new baby. I'm tired. My mom has cancer. I want my stupid 3 ring binder. Keep your comments to yourself!" (Those were just my thoughts... I didn't say them). But, seriously! Do we have to walk around with stupid smiles on our face? I ALWAYS get asked "What's wrong?" if I'm not smiling. Hmnnnn.

Brian and Shara's beautiful family said...

Sara - I LOVE your blog. Any time I am having a bad day, I come to your blog - it brightens my day at that moment. What would I do without you? Isn't it horrible that people just automatically think something is wrong if you aren't smiling? Brian asks me that ALL the time. Of course, nothing is wrong UNTIL he asks me that question. I wonder if Christ has a pleasant smile in his expressions all the time. Probably.
By the way, being a MaryKay lady, I do have products you may be interested in. Let me know!

Shawna said...

I died laughing! I say just keep making up reasons, the more ostentatious the more it will make you laugh and who couldn't stand to laugh more?

By the way I totally need to get the low down on your hair products. We have kind of the same hair thing going on and for some reason my usual products are leaving me with a frizzy mess.

Dianey Face said...

When Mary showed me this... well... I nearly died, but in a good way. Very funny!