When I was 16 years old, my dad made sure I knew how to change a flat tire. I wasn't allowed to drive by myself until I had showed him that I could do it.
It's a talent that has come in handy on several occasions.
One time I was driving down the highway in Minnesota on a cold November evening and I hit a big piece of something. Not only did I completely blow my tire, but I dented the rim also. That was a massive piece of who knows what. I happened to pull over behind a gentleman who had hit the exact same piece of who knows what. He got out of his car, a middle aged man very sure of himself. He approached me and asked if I had hit the same thing he had.
Yep. Thanks.
He then proceeded to tell me that he had already called AAA and a tow truck was on the way for him.
I just looked at him and said, "Oh, I'm just going to change my tire"
He then took the long walk of shame back to his car and sat in it while I struggled out in the freezing cold, holding a flashlight with my teeth, and changed my tire by myself.
And I left.
And he was still sitting there waiting for his tow truck.
Then yesterday I hit a big piece of something in the road that seriously came out of nowhere and sliced a giant hole through my tire and side wall.
Not 30 seconds passed and Joey pulled over.
(I totally snuck this picture with my phone when he wasn't looking)
Thanks Joey! Maybe his wife/mom/girlfriend will stumble on my blog someday and realize what a great guy he is!
I immediately drove to discount tire since I'm smart enough to have a warranty on all my tires. I happened to get there 15 mins before they closed and Chris told me he could have a new tire put on and my car ready in 10 mins.
He was serious about the 10 mins thing because I told him that if he took longer than 10 I would make him wash, wax and vacuum my car.
He really didn't want to do that, but hey, a bet's a bet.
Thanks Chris!
Who says there aren't any nice people out there?



4 comments:
Glad you had people to help you! My cousin and I got a flat the other day. I don't doubt that we could have figured out how to change the tire---but physically I'm not sure we could handle it. Lucky for us there were several people who stopped to help:)
i hope you write chris a nice reveiew!
(i'm going to call you next time i get a flat)
Wow, you're so sneaky with your pictures. You should try to be a papparazzi!
Wow! Sounds like I need you with me at all times, just in case my tire blows.
I love the picture with your reflection picking/scratching your nose.
Post a Comment