Monday, September 14, 2009

Following up on my follow up

So my cat was scanned and I was filled with steroids and feeling very optimistic for my throat doc appointment.

The nurse led me to the exam room and left the door slightly cracked open.

I overheard my doc, as he was reviewing my cat scan, ask one of his throat colleagues.

My doc: Have you ever had to do a lingual tonsillectomy?

Other doc: Yeah, it sucks.

My doc: So...how do you do it?

Me: Maybe I need to find another doc...

Then he comes in my room.

Doc: Looks like we're going to have to remove them.

Me: hmmm...

Doc: It's not going to be fun.

Me: What am I supposed to say to that? Oh really?

Doc: Yeah, it's going to hurt a lot, and it'll hurt, and there will be a lot of pain, and in case I forgot to mention, you'll hurt quite a bit.

Me: So there's going to be some pain then?

Doc: Yes, essentially you'll have the mother of all sore throats for about 2 weeks. It'll hurt to swallow, talk, breathe...pain, pain, pain, pain.

Me: Wow, sounds like fun.

Doc: Basically you won't be able to do anything other than lay in bed for 2 weeks.

Me: So you're saying I can't work then.

Doc (practically laughing at me): No, you'll be in too much pain!

Me: Isn't there maybe a stronger antibiotic I could try.

Doc: Oh sure, we could try something stronger. I have some samples here in the office I can give you. There has been reported a side effect in a few rare cases from taking this medicine.

Me: Oh really?

Doc: There have been reports of tendons snapping as a result of this antibiotic.

Me: ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???? Tendons?

Doc: Yeah, like the Achilles tendon would just snap in half. So to avoid that, if your tendons start hurting - stop taking the medicine.

Me: Right.



Getting a second opinion...

7 comments:

Barbaloot said...

An excuse for two weeks off work and laying in bed? I say get the surgery sooner than later:)

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, he sounds, uh, scary.

Eliza said...

Time to stock the freezer with popcicles!

rychelle said...

i cried just reading that.

call me, if there is ANYTHING i can do! (don't call me if your tendons snap. i might pass out, just hearing about it)

Lacey said...

The whole tendon thing, OMgosh, hilarious. I can't believe that is an actual side affect. I would tell work you need three weeks off, just so you can actually enjoy one.

Anonymous said...

Man! Talk about crazy side effects! Still, to get off work for 2 weeks wouldn't be that bad right?

Quists said...

Oh goodness. Good luck with the 2nd opinion. If it's anything like the 2nd opinions I get, you'll need a 3rd, 4th, and finally a determining 5th. I don't envy your situation. Sorry!