I bet you think I'm going to write about how important it is to vote and how priviledged we are to live in this country at this time when we are all given the opportunity to chose our leaders. Although I do truly believe that, there are other people out there who have a more eloquent way of expressing those thoughts and you'd be better off reading their inspiring messages. Instead I'll just do my part and remind everyone to vote (as if you hadn't made plans already - I know!) and tell you of my experience.
I'm not going to get on a soap box and tell you who I voted for and why. I don't feel the need to push my emotions on anyone else and I really think that I wouldn't be able to persuade anyone one way or another. So why waste our time?
I will say though that I voted early, and while waiting in line I got excited at being able to exercise my right as a citizen. The line wasn't very long, and I stood there with pride as I waited my turn. I was at the front of the line, next to go in and I saw someone exit. I looked at the young volunteer who was directing the voters and he looked at me, motioned with his hand and said, "ma'am".
MA'AM!
Do I look like a ma'am to you? Oh the injustice! What is it about that word that makes me cringe? At what age do we change from "miss" to "ma'am"? I demand a re-count!
I was so tempted to say something to that guy, but what?
"Um, excuse me sir (gent, lad... do guys get offended with sir?) I haven't quite reached "ma'am" status yet so if you wouldn't mind refering to me as "miss" I would appreciate it."
Am I completely off my rocker? (pun intended) Does anyone else get their undies in a bunch when they hear that word? Am I the only one who thinks "ma'am" should be reserved for the 90+ age range?
PS. In case you were wondering, I totally won the costume contest at my work!



7 comments:
I totally remember the first time I was called ma'am. It is a totally insulting polite word!
I want to hear more about the costume contest.
I am so with you on the ma'am thing. I was the tender age of 24 when someone first called me that and I still bristle every time it's directed at me. I don't think there's a certain age for it - maybe just a state of mind...
Hi.. I'm Eliza's VTee and u were on her blog. (just so u know I'm not a stalker!)
I love being called ma'am cuz I go around calling people that all the time (it's really because I can't remember their names... so it makes me feel like there are others in the world with my failing).
That was a great costume!
Bueno, hola Señorita Sara :) Que suave que podiste votar. Este año era mi primer año para votar y no lo hize. Bueno, sera en 4 años mas. Te cuento que no estoy embarazada todavia, pero cuando lo este, yo te avizo. Chao, saludos a Alber.
You should have called him "son" or something like that. :) Great job on your costume contest! Barney and I won as, well, but we went as McCain and Palin. (I looked pretty darn close).
I believe you are a "ma'am" when you are a married woman. You should have never married. I can't wait for the day someone calls me "ma'am".
Aww...Ashley is so sweet, wish I knew a guy for her!
My mom still (and she'll be 54 in February) hates being called Mrs. Miller because she says that's her mother-in-law and she's not that old. Maybe because I was married at 21 I totally didn't mind being called "Mrs."
In my world of old people (old husband, older siblings, older friends, etc.), I'm young for eternity! Call me whatever ya want, ya can't touch this!
PS- Absentee ballot is the way to go...nobody to insult me when I'm filling it out on my couch.
Post a Comment