Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lazy + Bored = Me

My honey has been attending an evening class, 4 days a week for 3 hours so I don't see him very often which means that lately I've had a lot of time on my hands. Add that to the fact that I don't have any friends, I'm morbidly lazy, I live far away from everyone I know, and I have absolutely zero motivation to do anything worthwile with my time and you get one very pathetic individual. I probably could spend time working on my calling, getting to know people in my new ward, visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, etc, but I don't. Instead I have attempted new craft projects (unsuccessfully I might add as my paint-by-numbers project has been sadly abandoned after 2 weeks of exciting painting)
I have a new project however that has caused me some excitement and has resulted in 2 weeks worth of dirty laundry piling up in various corners of my bedroom, 3 days worth of dirty dishes spilling out of the sink and onto the counter (ran out of dishwasher soap... see reference to laziness above), shoes....well everywhere in the house, TV dinners every other night, and absolutely no time for me to do anything else. This is also what happened while I read the Twilight series, but it's not a book this time that is keeping me from domestic duties this time. I've found a new passion I never knew I had tucked away in me somewhere.

Quilting!

I don't own a sewing machine, that would be too easy anyway! Nope, this is your old fashioned needle and thread version. Had I known everything that is required, I probably would have picked an easier pattern. Or done this stamp thing that a friend of a friend Lindsey is doing on her (way better than mine) hand-stiched quilt. (Seriously, check it out. This girl is amazing!)

Here's an example of my handiwork.


I've got 2 sqares completed and like 898 to go. It's actually supposed to be an 8 inch square, but I came up with the brilliant idea to add a border around the squares and instantly I have a 12 inch square! Horay for having to sew less squares!
Don't look too close or you'll see that the seams don't exactly line up. So if you're wondering why I don't return your phone call or have time to visit you, now you know. I'll be done in around 2 1/2 years or so. But you can still send a Christmas card! I might even get around to sending one back - next year of course. Don't expect too much from the lazy.

5 comments:

lindsey said...

You're crazy because I think your squares are amazing! I love the fall colors, and your quilt is going to be beautiful when it is done.

I think you are SOOOO smart for adding the border. I started with a pattern from online that said I needed 75 flowers, and then found one that cut it down to 54 flowers, so I'm going with that.

Good work!

Habs said...

I love that my two girlfriends are coming together through the blogging world. Cheers!

Eliza said...

Beautiful! Your handiwork is AMAZING! You are totally a pioneer woman! Canning your own pompegranite jelly and now making your own quilt! WOW!

Kendra said...

Wow! I am so impressed that you are sewing those beautiful squares BY HAND!! Wow. I got into quilting last year - it is definitely fun, addictive, and I loved it. :) But then again, I have a sewing machine. You are amazing! Keep up the good work!!!

Shawna said...

Holy cow! You're totally putting hand back in handiwork. That's simply amazing!