Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Going on a Roadshow

I stumbled upon "Antiques Roadshow" the other day and I couldn't look away.


It's captivating. Kinda like how I can't change the channel when I stumble upon "The deadliest catch", I don't know why, but I love it.

I was mesmerized by the lovely articles of furniture and nick-nacks and that these experts were able to tell where they were made and in what year. I feel like I'm getting an education in antique appraisals.


I scoff at the people who say that really it's the sentimental value of the item that is worth more than the price. YEAH RIGHT! If that were the case, why go there in the first place?


And I always think it's funny when they appraise the item at like $1,500-$2,000 and the person is like, "Wow! Really! That's amazing!"



You know they were hoping for one of those hidden gems worth like $85,000-$100,000 and they're totally just pretending to be thrilled. How embarrassing!



I on the other hand, would never go on that show unless I knew that the item was worth at least $1,000,000,000.99.


I feel capable now that I've seen the show a few times to appraise anything.


So I started looking around my house and found a few things that I consider hidden gems.

Like this glass dog perfume holder for example.


My grandma gave this to me from her collection before she died. That means it's worth even more. All things increase in value when their owners pass away.

The head removes and there is a twist off top and the base can be filled


Estimated Value $50,000 only because it's in such mint condition.


And we also have this beautifully carved Don Quijote and Sancho Panza.

I purchased these two figurines in Spain and brought them home with me. The value is greater in that because the items are not marked for export. Unfortunately Don Quijote did loose his walking stick (it fell behind my TV) so I did have to knock it down a few thousand, but overall a fascinating specimen.


Estimated Value $33,000 (It'll increase by a good $20,000 when I keel over)


One of the more exotic pieces in my collection.
Some people (including myself) probably would've passed this up as junk at the garage sale. But not my honey. He knows true value when he sees it. He picked this baby up for $5 and not until he brought it home did he realize that it is also a running fountain as water will spew out of the ugly tiki guy's mouth. CLASSY!! It even came with working batteries. The value went up a good $5 with those babies!
Estimated Value $74,005
And then I have this hand-made harp.
BARELY USED! (save for a few lessons when I was younger)
The wood is cracking because I live in the dessert now. Awesome! That greatly increases the novelty. Yep, this baby is one of a kind.
Estimated Value $4,009


And next we have my beautiful computer chair.

Early Pennsylvania piece I believe. (Wow, I just realized that I haven't the faintest clue how to spell Pennsylvania - sad) Those scratches give it a high quality antique flavor. It's also extremely comfortable to allow for hours of computer time.
Estimated Value $36,000



And last but not least we have my extensive book collection.

I saw once on Antique Roadshow that someone had brought in an original printing version of the Book of Mormon. It was missing the title page (tell me if anyone just thought of Vicente di Francesco) so the value went down slightly to $22,000.
None of my books are missing any pages. Therefore their value tops the charts. Besides, there aren't any steamy hot vampires in the Book of Mormon. For that reason, the estimated value of this collection is:
Priceless - it just holds too much sentimental value for me.
Which piece do you think I should bring on the show?

6 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Wow-that Tiki fountain is just amazing. Good for your husband for knowing true beauty when he sees it...

Kristina P. said...

I have a piece of popcorn I found behind the sofa, from 1997 that I'm sure is worth at least 3 cents.

rychelle said...

i went to a taping of that show once, at the hilton.

let me just say that show draws a lot of freaks with a lot of junk. (i'm not referring to me, of course).

Eliza said...

I'm not sure your "antiques" would qualify.

Amy said...

So we were watching TV tonight and they said something about Antique Roadshow and Todd starts cracking up. I didn't get the joke, 'cause I'm bad and haven't visited your blog in a while (new job..yadda yadda). Aparently he's a fan :-)

BENVANA said...

I'm in a computer lab reading this, and I totally cracked up out loud at the Vicente Di Francesco reference! Love it! I like the Pennsylvania piece as well-- classic. And I don't know if Alber reads your blog, but I'm glad he doesn't mind you poking fun at him for our entertaining!