Despite the 4th of July festivities or perhaps because of the lack of desire I had to work due to the holiday weekend, I finally ventured out to what could have been a most dreadful experience. Changing my name. I had already attempted this beforehand a couple of weeks ago when I went to the DMV and waited in line only to be told that I had to change my Social Security Number first. So the following day I went the Social Security Office closest to my work and thought I'd take an extra long lunch and get it done. When I say closest to my work - I don't mean it is close to my work, only that it is closer than the really far away one. I got to that office and discovered that they don't issue cards there and I had to go to the really far away one. After giving myself 2 weeks to recover from that experience, I decided that today would be the day and I ventured out.
I went to work in the morning and then left early enough to get to the Social Security Office before it opened. I arrived approx. 20 mins before it opened and saw around 100 people already waiting in line. I was tempted to turn around and head back to work, but I decided to stick it out and wait in the line since I had already driven 30 min. to get there. (I tried to get a picture of the line like a true blogger, but the batteries in my camera are dead) I waited for around 5 min. when someone came up behind me and asked if that was the line to change a name. It was a good thing I didn't answer because I would've been wrong. Apparently there were actually 2 different lines facing each other and one side was for appointments and the other was for card services. I had been waiting in the wrong line!!! The good news is there were only around 30 people in front of me in the right line. They opened the door and in we scrambled to get our number and the forms. I sat next to my new friend who was also changing her name and we both became concerned when we read that we were supposed to also bring our birth certificate which neither of us did. Luckily that wasn't necessary and the 30 people in front of me got through at lightning pace. Less than 15 mins waiting and I was called. Everything went smoothly and I got back to work in just over 1 1/2 hours. Not too bad considering my drive time was around 1 hour.

I was feeling pretty good about that adventure so i decided to attempt the DMV today also. There is an office located about 2 miles from my work and I ran there on my lunch hour (technically I already used up my lunch hour, but nobody needs to know that!) This was a DMV express office and it's pretty well hidden so I felt confident I could get through quickly. I was right! There were only 7 people in front of me and I made it through the line in record time and back to work. I am now officially Sara Coral Barrios - although I need to work on my signature a bit and I probably won't answer yet if you call me Mrs. Barrios. :)
And I'm Back!
16 years ago


2 comments:
I hated the hassle of changing my name, although I did get to go to the DMV first without any problems, I still went to the stinking S.S. office 3 times! Curses on the ugly lady at booth #2. I don't like her!!!
I had the same issues + more try having 2 middle names and having only one on your current ID and have the one on the ID mispelled from your birth certificate. Yeah, needless to say I was a tad pissed off when I had to run all over trying to get it all figured out. I cried I think 2 times! Not sure how they Passport people even let me mispell my middle name and only have one of them on there...But somehow I did and now I'm a Mink no more Lafin ;) And I am legal on everything! Love reading your posts...hope you are well!
Post a Comment