Well, it's happened, after 3 weeks of attending our new ward Alber and I have received callings. Alber actually received 2 as he is the new second counselor in the Young Men's Presidency and also the Scout Master for the ward. He loves to work with the youth so those are perfect callings for him. He has a way to get them to listen to him so he'll do well. I on the other hand have been called as Young Women's President. Did I mention we've only been in the ward for 3 weeks?!! As if calling counselor's wasn't challenging enough...I went to Young Women's this past Sunday and hoped to get information from the current president, but I wasn't prepared for what I saw. The girls talked and giggled the entire time, they didn't break out into classes, and the president didn't have any information for me. I asked for a list of the teachers - "Oh I don't have that" I asked for a list of the girls, "Oh, I'm not sure if we have one" I asked what the girls are working on and what they have planned for Mutual - "Um, you could check with them to see how they're doing on personal progress" Are you kidding me!!!!! I can't believe how disorganized they have been. I hope the girls are ready for a little structure because there obviously hasn't been any for a while. They're probably going to hate me because I'm going to actually make them work on personal progress and attend their classes. If anyone has any ideas or has worked with the youth in the past, I'm more than happy to accept any help I can get!
And I'm Back!
16 years ago


7 comments:
Im sorry, I don't have any advise. All I can do is pray for you! Man, that's tough!!! Good Luck!
Wow, Congrats! I'm sure it will be tough at the beginning getting things set up and in order, but I think you will have a blast with the Young Women! You will be a great YW President!!!
Sara, I learned a lot of great things about the Young Women's and organization when Michelle's dad was the Bishop and I was the Laurel President. It sounds like you need to choose a very organized secretary. Give me a call and I will give you some suggestions!
Dang girl! You kick their trash into shape! :) I've never served in YW, but having been a young woman myself quite recently, I would say that structure will help a lot.
WOW YW's president??? That is nuts!!! No advice here, but best of luck to you. I know you will do great!
Hi Sara--it's cheryl cardall. i found your blog through Sheree's! I was YW pres for 3 years and had a similar experience going in. What I found is like any kid, the YW do want structure and organization as long as you make it fun. I also found that as long as they know you really love them and care about them you can do and say almost anything. But that takes time or else they might resent you, so maybe don't change EVERYTHING right away, make it your priority to establish relationships with them first and let them know you love them and care for them. You will be fantastic!
Congrats! I know you've been working with them now for a month, but I was late in reading this. I was YW pres for 3 years when I first moved back to Guatemala, and had a similar experience.
Agree with cheryl cardall. PLAN classes, lessons, mutuals, everything! They are flaky now because there is no set plan to follow. Let them get involved in planning their mutual activities and assign them responsibilities. Organize presidencies for each class so they all feel involved, and have fun. They can tell if you genuinely care for them.
Post a Comment