Friday, July 11, 2008

Your Room is Ready!

Alber and I have been working hard on some home improvement projects. It started on July 4th when neither of us worked and we've been meaning to get some things done. We started out buying a new mattress for our bed. Hooray! It's really comfy and we seriously needed one so we just went for it and we got a really good deal too! Next, we went to home depot and bought some insulated tubing that Alber needed to fix a leak in the air conditioning we had in our attic and stopped the 2 guest rooms upstairs from cooling down. We also happened to walk down the garage door opener aisle and I was more than tempted. We've been struggling with our garage door opener for a while and it was begining to drive me crazy. It didn't shut using the remote and you had to hold the button in the garage to get it to close. Anyway, like I said, it was driving me crazy and I was pretty fed up so I convinced Alber that we absolutely had to have a new one so we got that too. Then we went back home to start our projects.
Begining with the air conditioning ducts, Alber climbed up into the hot, stuffy attic and like a good wife I followed him to the top of the ladder... spend about 30 seconds up there and left him to fend for himself in the fiberglass jungle while I went to work cleaning up our room to prepare for the new mattresses. Alber emerged 30 minutes later; sweaty, itchy, but successful. Yeah for cool rooms.
On to the next project: the garage door opener. Pretty much I was a slave driver at this point because it was around 1:00 and I didn't want to stop for lunch. We shared an apple and went into the hot garage. This project took at little longer, but luckily I was there to help, because Alber does this thing where he doesn't read instructions. Mostly because he doesn't need to, but I still always feel the need to make sure we get it right. This project took a few hours and afterwards we did stop to eat.
On to the next project - replacing the trim around the doors on the first floor. Alber already had the trim cut and painted, he only had to remove the old trim and nail in the new stuff, caulk, paint over the nails, and we were good to go. He started with the sliding doors which actually didn't have any trim to remove, but when he took off the binds, he realized that the trim we had was too thick to be able to put the blinds back in the same place. We already knew that the blinds were just temporary and we were going to get curtains in the future, but putting trim around that door added another project of getting curtains. We decided to run to Target (keep in mind that this is still the 4th of July) It was starting to darken outside when we left and we drove past this amazing lookout spot of Las Vegas just down the street from our house. There were already a couple of cars parked there getting ready for the fireworks. We spent over an hour at Target trying to decide which curtains would look best and then getting the rods and a couple of other items. We drove back to our house around 9:00 amid fireworks and festivities. There were around 100 or so cars at the lookout spot now which made driving down our street a pain. We finally got home where we promptly lit 3 sparklers each (hooray for our independence from Mother England!) and proceeded to hang up curtains. (I'll have to post a picture of that later)
We finally finished around 11:00 and both crashed into bed - not the new one yet, that was delivered on Tuesday.
The next day, Saturday, we continued in our home improvement phase and Alber finished up with the trim and painting downstairs while I ran to Target for a couple of things we had forgotten. Then Alber had to run an errand and told me I could pick out the paint I wanted for upstairs, but to wait for him to start painting. I started anyway because I didn't want to give him the chance to tell me he didn't like the colors. He got home and I had already paited 2 walls so there was no stopping me. Neither of us had as much energy as we had the day before so we ended the day early and went for a swim. The room was painted I just needed Alber to paint around the edges because he's really good at that. On Monday we finished up the edges and I had orginally planned to sponge paint on one wall, but after starting, I decided I didn't like it so we covered that up and ended up freehanding a star design. I turned out really good and as the title of this post says, your room is now ready. Come and visit any time!

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

Wow! Good job guys! That definitely sounds like a busy project weekend.

LeeZ and WeeZ said...

Very cute Sara. I love the wall, I can't believe you free handed that. Very pretty!

Brian and Shara's beautiful family said...

Wow, way to go Sara! Have any ideas for our house? You need to come visit me so I can get some of your creative ideas for my home.

Anonymous said...

Wow mija! Looks awesome. I can't wait until you paint my house!

Eliza said...

Love it! I can't wait to see it!!! Good job!