Friday, May 20, 2011

Goodbye Grandpa




He used to play patty cake and intentionally miss clapping my hands together and say "Whoops!"



One time we were fishing on his boat and I cast off my whole fishing pole in the lake... luckily he was able to grab the bobber and pulled out the entire reel of fishing line until we got to the pole.


He wore his shoes until they were falling apart and then he would duck tape them together.
He duck taped a lot of things back together.




He traveled to Africa twice all by himself.


One time we were driving in his truck and he forgot to turn off his turn signal. He couldn't hear the clicking... for miles and miles. I was so embarrassed. Finally I pointed to the flashing arrow and said "Hey Grandpa, what's that?"


He wore coveralls to every occasion. Graduations...weddings. (Here he is at my wedding)



His house burnt down and he lived in his garage for many years.

We would have to use an outhouse when we'd visit him and the shower was a curtain in the kitchen.


His hearing got progressively worse throughout the years. I don't think he's been able to hear my voice for a few years.


He wore suspenders when he wasn't wearing coveralls.




His name is William Eldridge Mitton, but everyone called him Al.


He passed away on Tuesday.

Bye Grandpa, thanks for the memories.

5 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Sounds, and looks, like a wonderful, interesting man. I'm sorry for your loss.

Alyson | New England Living said...

So sorry to hear you lost your grandpa. Sounds like he lived such an interesting, amazing life!

tiffany said...

he sounds like a wonderful grandpa im sorry for your loss

Kristina P. said...

So sorry about your Grandpa! This post makes me think about mine, who passed away. Grandpas are the best.

Eliza said...

Great post! It will be weird to go back to the lake and he won't be there.