Wednesday, April 24, 2013

So, I had a baby... and stuff.

I took this picture a couple of weeks before she was born so I could have at lease one documented image of the completely uncomfortable, awkward, tiring process that is creating a human.

 Emma was born Feb 5 at around 6:30pm.  It was a scheduled c-section so I was way more calm when we went to the hospital.  We checked in and got situated and then just had to wait for my doctor to get there.  I walked into the operating room and got the good stuff inserted in my spine and immediately peed all over.  Well, not really, but my water broke, so this baby knew it was time, even though we were 1 week early.
 Emma Elizabeth - 6 lbs 15 oz, 19 inches long.

Big brother AJ is a big help!  Although the newness is starting to wear off I think. 
 Big Sister Sophia loves her Emma and likes to hold her a little too much!
 We blessed her on March 3rd.  Here's the second baby blessing gown made from my wedding dress.  I should say second and last since there's not much dress left to cut up!
 Emma's been great, but she did decide to get sick a couple of weeks ago which landed us in the ER.  They had to hydrate her because she hadn't eaten much all day and they needed to do some tests.  Turns out a cold and urinary infection were the culprits of her fever.

 The second best thing about having a baby is the 2 months off of work!  I had a ton of projects in mind for when I would have unlimited free time.  (Free time with a newborn and 2 1/2 year old that is!)  Aside from getting to do all the mommy things I don't usually get to do like take Sophia to the park - she would live there if we let her, and story time at the library.  I managed to get a few projects done. 

Here we go.
1. Outdoor Kitchen
Technically this is my Honey's project, but I helped when I could.  (Like unloading 6,000 lbs of brick- yeah I was feeling that the next day!)

Here's my honey and his dad laying the foundation for the kitchen
I don't have a really good picture of the whole thing and it's not finished yet, but it's almost there.
Here it is at night.
 The smoker is in the corner, there's a sink next to that, and the BBQ grill on the left.

 To the left of the grill, we have an electric stove top with the option to switch it out to a grill top.  (I'm envisioning many roasted veggies on that!)
 And no kitchen would be complete without the oven.  I'm excited to use my new pizza oven.
 Although the kids think it's their new fort!
 

Speaking of kitchens...
Another big project that I took on was the kitchen cabinets.  We bought a cabinet transformation kit a few years ago and never got around to using it.  I bit the bullet and took the kitchen apart to get everything painted.  Here's the before picture.

Here's the after picture.  We're planning on installing granite counter tops eventually.  I just need to keep at those penny slots so we can fund it!


 My easiest project was to reupholster the kitchen chairs.  I wish I had all wooden chairs with no fabric, but I need to make do with these.  Once upon a time these chairs were in pretty good shape.  Then Sophie happened... Here's the before picture.
And the after.  Yes I did leave the plastic on top of the fabric.  Yes I do realize that it's pretty tacky.  Yes I also realize that it belongs in 1972 with plastic couch covers, but I'm keeping it!  (And secretly searching for those couch covers on ebay)  I'll sacrifice style for wipeable chairs any day of the week!


One of my callings in the ward is Cubmaster and I had to put together my first pinewood derby.  I think it went pretty well.  I got a brother from the ward who's a police officer to give the boys a driving test and administer driver's licenses.  He got pretty into it, it was cute.
 And I homemade all the awards.  (Good thing I had plenty of cut up bricks laying around the backyard from the kitchen project.)  I spray painted matchbox cars and glued them to the bricks and then each boy got a tile with an award (best paint job, most original design, etc)
 Whew - so that's the last 3 months of my life in a nutshell.
I'm back at work now, so if I was busy before, it's getting ridiculous now!

Plus I've started going to Zumba.  And I've managed to drag my honey with me.  He may not have rhythm, but he definitely has spirit!  We're both down 5 pounds so far and we're hoping to make this last!




4 comments:

Eliza said...

You are amazing and those kiddos adorable!

rychelle said...

ohhhh, i can't wait until you invite me over for oven fired pizza! ;)

Barbaloot said...

A baby?! Where have I been? Didn't you have Sophia like a week ago? Congrats!! She looks darling.

I would've been impressed with just creating a human, but look at all the other stuff you've accomplished as well. I'm hanging my head in shame.

Tiffany said...

Whaaaat!? I know I don't have a strong presence on any blogs these days (mine included), but were you trying to hide from me that you had a baby or how did I completely miss that!? At any rate, seriously, good work creating such a scrumptious babe AND remodeling your house and overachieving in your calling, etc. I'll just go ahead and congratulate you on getting pregnant and having the pregnancy be over 3 months ago all at once! Much love to you and the darling fam of FIVE!